Chandni Chowk

by - 8/04/2015



Chandni Chowk is one of the oldest and busiest markets in Delhi established in 1650 by Princess Jahanara, the favourite daughter of Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan. The market is located in Old Delhi near landmarks such as Red Fort and Jama Masjid. I hadn't been there since our first trip to India in 2013 and finally convinced Hubby and MIL to come along with me. We took the metro from South Delhi and got off at the Chandni Chowk station.


As I had wanted to see the Spice Market, Khari Baoli, we headed there first. I will admit I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting a street filled with bright colours and delicious smells instead the spices, dried fruits, and various types of daal where located in dark and dingy shops. Still a wonderful experience and I was able to capture a few beautiful shots!











Before leaving the house I had quickly googled things to see in Chandni Chowk and came across The Old Famous Jalebi Wala, which supposedly has the best Jalebi in town! Even though I don't typically like Jalebi I was excited to give it a shot! We ordered 3 samosas and a Jalebi. I think you can tell from the pictures how lackluster the Jalebi was.




If you love Sarees and Suits this place is like heaven! My MIL wanted to buy me a suit for the Indian festival of Teej and after browsing through a few shops we came across a lovely place called Saree Sansar. We found the most beautiful purple suit! I will save the pictures for Teej!



My MIL wanted to visit the Sis Ganj Sahib Gurudwara, first established in 1783. It is one of the many historical Gurudwaras in Delhi and is also the location were the 9th Sikh Guru, Tegh Bahadur was beheaded by the Mughals for refusing to convert to Islam. 




As Hubby had on shorts we were unable to visit any Mosques. We had previously visited Jama Masjid in 2013 and did not have the best experience so we were ok skipping it this time. For lunch we went to Haldiram, the Indian version of McDonalds! After lunch we took an auto home and passed out from exhaustion. I'm looking forward to going back on a Sunday for the one kilometre Daryagan Book Market!


You May Also Like

0 comments